Contact Us Today For Help!

How to Tell If a Head Injury Needs Medical Attention

by Dixon Law Office

Traumatic brain injuries like concussions are in the news now more than ever.  This is good news.  The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes how serious brain injuries can be.  They recommend you seek immediate medical attention for a traumatic brain injury if you or a loved one experiences any of these danger signs following a blow to the head:

  • Headache that gets worse and does not go away
  • Weakness, numbness or decreased coordination
  • Repeated vomiting or nausea
  • Slurred speech

Get the injured person to an emergency department right away if they:

  • Look very drowsy or cannot be awakened.
  • Have one pupil (the black part in the middle of the eye) larger than the other.
  • Have convulsions or seizures.
  • Cannot recognize people or places.
  • Are getting more and more confused, restless, or agitated.
  • Have any unusual behavior.
  • Lose consciousness (even a brief loss of consciousness should be taken seriously and the person should be carefully monitored).

Head injuries to infants can be just as serious, sometimes more.  If an infant sustains a jolt to the head or body, they should be taken to the emergency room if they:

  • Have any of the danger signs for adults listed above.
  • Will not stop crying and cannot be consoled.
  • Will not nurse or eat.

Those who are recovering from a brain injury should avoid physical activity, sustained TV or computer usage, mental distractions (doing more than one thing at a time) as well as avoidance of alcohol and drugs, except those prescribed by a doctor.  Physicians stress that rest is essential following a concussion as it helps the brain to heal.

If you or someone you love has had a head injury as a result of an accident, our personal injury attorneys have the experience and resources to help you through this difficult time and obtain just compensation for your injuries. Contact us at toll-free at 888-354-9880, or click here for a free consultation.  We can help you.

Skip to content