Years ago, a man had a stroke that left him unable to chew solid food. His family made the tough choice to place him in a nursing home because his care was just more than they could do. They thought they were keeping him safe.
A few months later, they got the call that he had choked to death. The cause? Food. The staff had allowed him to have solid food. Of course, he could not chew it. The solid food became lodged in his windpipe. He choked to death.
Preventable deaths in nursing homes from simple things like food have reached near-epidemic levels. Hundreds of families get “the call” each year that their loved one died. Many of those are from something as simple as choking on food.
If you have received “the call” that your loved one died from choking on food, call a lawyer right away. In nearly every case, the death was preventable. The nursing home has a responsibility to stop it before it happens. At Dixon Law Office, we can help you and your family get the justice you deserve and hold the nursing home accountable for the harm they caused. Contact us at toll-free at 888-354-9880, or click here for a free consultation. They can help.